Monday, October 3, 2011

WLB - My first post...a little background

This was my first blog post on my WLB page...I will be copying all my posts from there to this blog so that I will have a record. If you haven't checked out my WLB page, click HERE to check it out - please subscribe to and/or follow my WLB page so you can encourage me and share your thoughts on my journey through the jungle that is weight loss!!

Hi there!!! I'm Diana and I can't WAIT to get started on this amazing journey with all of you!! I thought I would start with a post telling you a little bit about myself and my weight loss "philosophies" so you can understand who I am and get to know me a little better!!


I'm almost 29 and will have been married for 6 years on October 15th!! My husband and I have 3 gorgeous kiddos...an almost 5 year old daughter (she'll be 5 in about 3 weeks), a 2-1/2 year old son and a 15 week old daughter. I am a stay-at-home mom who also works full time from home as a Medical Transcriptionist and homeschools our daughter who is in Kindergarten. In case you were wondering, yes, things do get a little crazy around here during the week between trying to work, and love on my kids and homeschooling....but as Tim Gunn would say, I somehow "Make It Work!!!"

Personally, I love crafting (sewing, crocheting, cross-stitching, scrapbooking...), cooking/baking and music. As a family, we enjoy going to Disneyland, spending time with our extended family and just goofing off in general.

In high school I was overweight...and not just that awkward-chubby-teenager overweight, but massively obese. In my early 20s I ended up with a mystery illness that cause me to lose 100 pounds in about a year...for the first time in my life, I was able to shop in stores at the mall (I LOVED American Eagle!!) and felt like I was finally a normal member of society instead of feeling like an outcast. Unfortunately, I had no idea how to lose weight on my own, let alone keep it off, so over the next few years it creeped back and by the time I got married about 3 years later I had already gained 30 pounds back. After getting married and having access to an apartment complex gym I finally started losing weight again...and 3 months later we were blessed to find out that we were pregnant with our oldest daughter...and after 2 pregnancies I found myself another 30 pounds heavier and facing a dilemma. We wanted to have baby #3 but I needed to lose 15 - 20 pounds to avoid any complications. So, I made a decision...I decided that I had to take control of my weight and really get serious about losing it. After some research and motivation from family I did it!! I lost 15 pounds in about 4 months!! I then went on to have my healthiest pregnancy yet AND to keep the weight off during the pregnancy...which was not easy considering this baby was almost 1.5 pounds heavier than our lightest baby (and he was 7 lbs. 9 oz.)!! I watched what I ate and tried to stay active for those 9 months, and it paid off when I came home and was 10 pounds lighter than when I first got pregnant!!

So, that leads us to now...I am 15 weeks out from that pregnancy (which was my third C-section) and I am ready to get back to taking control of my weight. After the surgery I did gain almost 10 pounds back because, I'm not going to lie, for those first 2 months I couldn't exercise and I was so busy with 3 kids that I was more worried about them than what I ate. But, I've adjusted and started back to work and have already lost a few pounds!! I am ready to take on this challenge and start shedding some pounds. With all the craziness around here, I don't get as much time to exercise as most people so my weight loss is primarily dependent on controlling what I eat. I will say that I'm not a dieter, I'm not one of those people who decides to cut out sugar, or fat or whatever else the latest fad diet suggests. I prefer, and have found it VERY effective, to just be aware of what I am eating and how much I am eating. Over the next few weeks I will share my tips and tricks with you in the hopes that they will help you in some way to lose some extra weight too!!

So, come back and check on me and leave me comments....if I know people are watching me I'll be more motivated to put down the naughty snacks and pick up a peach!! I hope lots of you join us and participate in the mini weight loss challenge...I can't wait to follow all of you guys too!!


I also have a blog - Life After Diapers - where I will be posting about my weight loss journey and many other things that interest me, like recipes and things that I do.

No comments: