Are you there?? I'll be impressed if you are...it's been a while, 4 months to be precise (give or take a few days). I'm not going to make a bunch of excuses for you as to why I took a blogging hiatus, I'm going to be brutally honest - I just didn't have enough time to fit everything I wanted to do into every day and lets face it, blogging is fun, but since it doesn't pay the bills it falls into a lower priority than lots of other things. In case you're new, or it's been so long you've forgotten, here's a list of what I have to squeeze into my days:
* Working - I work 40 hours a week from home as a Medical Transcriptionist.
* Being a mom - I have 3 kids ranging in age from practically 6 (in 4 days) to 16 months...things are a little hectic all the time.
* Being a wife - yes, this takes time out of my day...there is more to being a wife than hanging up your husband's shirts and makin' the babies. I try to do little things throughout the weeks to make his life easier when he gets home so he can spend the maximum amount of time with the kids possible. I try to get things like dishes and laundry and meals all in order so he doesn't have to stress. Sound a little too "Brady Bunch" for you?? Well, that's how it works around here...I enjoy the responsibility and let's face it, my salary isn't enough to pay the mortgage, so if I want to keep living in this house I have to keep the man who brings home the money happy!!
* Homeschooling - Karyl is in first grade this year and while I love that things are more structured and we have more direction in our schooling, there is definitely more one on one time needed...and to be honest, I love it!! I can't wait for the day when I don't have to work anymore and I can focus lots more time on homeschooling...it sounds crazy, but it's so much fun!!
* "Me time" - No, I don't mean playdates, "girls nights" or anything like that. I mean meaningful time for me to take a breath and remember why I'm working so hard for the kids and hubby. I haven't been able to do as many little things for me as I used to, but I still try to find ways to de-stress and do something for me...sometimes it's reading a book for 10 minutes while pretending to be in the bathroom (come one, every mom has done it...), sometimes it's using laundry folding time as an excuse to watch that episode of New Girl I DVR'd last week that I haven't had a chance to watch yet.
I used to think I was SuperMom and could do anything...then I had 3 kids and realized that I might be awesomeness personified, but I can't do it all. So I've reorganized and realized what my priorities really are...and for the past few months they didn't involve blogging. I come to you now as a new woman...literally! I've really dug my heels into this weight loss attempt and have been really successful! The Moms View Makeover was the start of that journey and it has just gained momentum. I have started "running" (mostly walking but slowly being able to run more and more) and I've made exercising a priority instead of feeling guilty about taking the time to do it. Some days I go to classes at a local fitness studio called 4 Everybody Fitness...some days I go out running after Greg gets home. It just depends on what my mood is for that day and what options I have as far as babysitting. Recently my mom moved about a mile away so she's close and has been spending lots of time with the kids. It's been a real blessing because before to take the kids to my exercise class I had to take almost 2.5 hours from work because I had to get them up, get them ready and fed and haul them down to the studio (they have free babysitting and I know most of the women who babysit there). Not to mention, I had to wake them up earlier than normal! Now, my mom comes over and I can get breakfast all set up and get our youngest up and changed...then she just hangs around while the older ones stagger out when they are ready to get up. I miss less time from work (my work is based on production, so the more I miss, the worse it is) and the kids don't have to get up early!! And I can enjoy my hour there and just focus on sweating off some serious calories!!
Now...enough about me, on to those mint frosted brownies I mentioned in the title!! Every Sunday around here we have movie night and we take turns choosing the movie....the person who chooses the movie also gets to work with me and decide what special treat we are going to make. This past Sunday I decided to make these brownies and they were not only DELICIOUS, but super easy!!
I made the brownies from a cheap boxed mix (they were fudgy and amazing!!) in a 9 x 13 glass pan and I added like 2 handfuls of chocolate chips to the mix for some extra yumminess!
Then, when they were cooked and cooled I spread this frosting on top...
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp water (or milk)
1/2 to 3/4 tsp mint extract
3 drops green food coloring
Beat all that goodness until it's smooth and fluffy (a few minutes) then spread it on!!
I stored them covered in foil (not that they lasted that long...) and I swear that mint frosting is the best thing I have ever tasted. That might be because it has s stick of butter in it, but whatever it is, it is delicious!! I would imagine you could use the same recipe for other flavors with extracts (orange, peppermint, lemon...) just be conservative with the amount of extract you start with and taste test constantly.
So, that's what been going on here and there's a quick recipe for a quick treat for you!!
I am going to try and come back into blogging, but you can also see what's going on by going to our YouTube channel...if you want to, you know!!
Baun Family YouTube Channel
Have a great week!!!