Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Oreo Truffles


Having this blog has made me really WANT to try new recipes and get creative...something that is very hard for me to do seeing as how I appreciate and thrive on consistency. Last Saturday I set out to make Oreo Truffles. I had saved the recipe from a box of Philadelphia Cream Cheese a while back, and then I saw them on an old post from one of my favorite cooking blogs, Bakerella, so I decided to give them a try.
These are super easy, but using white chocolate chips WILL NOT work for the coating. If you don't believe me go ahead and try...you'll just waste a perfectly good bag of yummy white chocolate chips...
Anyways, here's what you're going to need:
*A package of Oreos or 2 stacks of Oreos from the Costco box (NOT Double Stuff)
*One 8 oz. package of cream cheese, SOFTENED.
*White melting chocolate, the kind that comes in a brick (I got some from Albertson's, but you can also use the candy chocolate from Wal-Mart or JoAnn's...)
*A cookie sheet lined with wax paper (make sure to use a cookie sheet that will fit in your freezer).
Here's what you do....
*Mix together the Oreo crumbs and the cream cheese...you can use your hands or a large metal spoon.
*Roll out as many balls as you can, about 1 inch in diameter....I used a cookie scooper and that made things super easy and a lot less messy...set them on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
*Put the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes (or longer) to harden the truffles. I made these on Saturday morning and after the disaster with the chip melting I covered the cookie sheet tightly in foil and left it in the freezer...they were just fine when I pulled them out this morning to bathe them in the appropriate chocolate coating.
*Pull them out and melt some of the dipping chocolate (I used 4 blocks of the package I got from Albertson's...maybe 1/3 of a pound....) with a spoon, tap the spoon on the side of the bowl to get the extra chocolate off and then let the truffles slide back on to the wax paper.
Once done, put them in the fridge for a few minutes to harden and they are all set to go. Now, being that these have uncooked cream cheese in them, I would keep them in the fridge until you are ready to use them. I honestly don't know if they need refrigeration after they're done but I would err on the side of caution!!
A few things I discovered while making these that might proved helpful...
**Save a little of the crushed Oreos to sprinkle on the top after you dip each truffle...the white chocolate collects pieces of the truffles and start to look more Cookies n' Cream than white chocolate. With the Oreo sprinkled on it looks like the added spots are supposed to be there.
**Again, use dipping/melting chocolate...
**Be careful how close you put them on the tray after you coat them...the chocolate will run a little and the truffles will attach themselves to each other.
**I only put the pretty ones in the final pictures...some of them will fall on the tray sideways or just not look perfectly round...I'm sure that with some practice that goes away. Until then, just remember that they don't taste any different, and your taste testers aren't going to care that they aren't a perfect circle!!
Now go and enjoy these yummy little treats...you deserve them!!!
Now the question is, what do I make for the dessert plate next??