Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Big Boy!!

I'm back!!!

Well, I was never really gone, I just haven't had the time or energy to do any posting on this blog or our family blog.  BUT, I'm nearing the third trimester and I'm feeling good and have a newfound desire to blog away!!

It was our son's second birthday this past Sunday, so I decided to try something new and make a cake from a Wilton shaped pan (the pan has all the 3D bumps and details).  We decided on a firetruck thinking it would be an easy one.  I have to say, I wasn't super excited about my first attempt, but I've learned a lot from this one and can't wait to try another one, preferrably with no black frosting required (when you lick the beaters you andyour children's tongues are dyed purple....).


It was fun to do, but I have to say I still love doing cupcakes more...but this was definitely cheaper than the usual $30 we spend on a cake from the grocery store, so it was worth it.  And Freddie LOVED the firetruck and let's face it...he's the only one I wanted to impress!!

For this I used a Pillsbury cake mix which I haven't really bothered to try before but LOVED...they are my new favorite mixes.  They are much denser than the other brands and work WAY better for decorating!!  And I made frosting like usual, but this time I made a buttercream with much, much more "butter" than I normally would, and I have to say I really liked the way it worked with the decorating bags and holding up.

No comments: